This season is not comprised of things. It is not intended for you to ask "where's my next present?" It is not a year compounded into one day that makes it acceptable to think you deserve more than another child. However, I do want this season to be memorable; but most importantly, meaningful. I understand both these concepts may be hard to understand. Even more so, I hope you find that this season is not about wanting more--it is about giving more.
(No, I don't believe in doing away with gifts or the wrapping paper that your Dad will triumphantly try to rescue. I promise, I am not The Grinch.)
However, as each season passes, I hope you pause a little more to appreciate the wonder and spirit of it all. I hope you listen a moment longer to the harmonies of the carolers outside your window. I hope you take in the lights with as much joy as you did when you were two years old in the backseat of our Camry. I encourage you to stop to ask someone their Christmas wish--you may be surprised to find it is the simple warmth of a blanket. I pray you acknowledge the temporary feeling a toy provides. And I trust that you will enter a season that encourages you to "experience" more, expect less and give without being acknowledged or recognized.
This is my wish for the three of you,
Mom
