The Unspoken Mother


I cannot recall the first time she whispered “I love you” you in my ear, nor can I remember the first time she cradled me. I am unable to place the exact moment when she reached for my hand or how she stretched out her arms when I took my first steps. Those definitive memories may not be recalled, but they are felt.


My mom—especially if you know her,  epitomizes what I deem the “unspoken mother.” As a young girl, I recognized her ability to be present without letting it be known. She was the presence I felt when I couldn’t see her through the blinding stage lights. She was the applause that I couldn’t necessarily distinguish from the crowd, yet I knew she was the most proud. She was the peaceful voice inside my head when I felt scared, alone or abandoned. She was the reassurance that needed not a word, but only an embrace.

My mother never sought perfection. She didn’t seek the approval of other “moms” or waste her time on judgment. She was just herself. And by being so, she embodies the grace and humility that I only wish to obtain in a lifetime. I can’t recall her telling us how tired she was, how many times she unloaded the dishwasher or how many loads of laundry she folded while we were tucked away in bed. She didn’t do things for recognition---not then and certainly not now. You will never find her rehashing all the sacrifices she made for me or my siblings. Instead she has continued to amaze me with her ability to remain “unspoken” about the past, present and future.

Rather than recognition or praise, she seeks meaningful conversation, being present for her grandsons and graciously providing support to others. I have and never will meet one like her, let alone be lucky enough to call her my mother.  

Thank you for being “unspoken.”
I love you.