It's that time of year again when you are saying more 'goodbyes' than you'd ever like to utter and the days/months ahead will be much more quiet. The sight of moving trucks become the norm in your neighborhood and the generous offerings of food, laundry service and kid-watching are in full-effect. It has been this way for a month and quite frankly, I am over it. With CGSC at Fort Leavenworth, the turn-over rate is exceptionally high. Therefore, as "permanent party" you are left knowing that every person you meet coming in, will more than likely be going out 10.5 months later. Let the clock start ticking.........
Last year was exceptionally hard as I said goodbye to over ten women that I considered not just an "acquaintance" but someone who I whole-heartedly will keep in touch with and make a conscience effort to see again. As for this year, it is a repeat with some added weight because I (gratefully) received an extra year with these women as their husbands were either deployed or in SAMs. But the goodbyes were inevitable and while I am left feeling sad, I feel a great sense of pride IN THEM.
It would be easy to wallow in all the sadness, but instead it took me some time to find the "right" words for these remarkable women (of last year and this year). Therefore, a moment to PRAISE them seems much more appropriate than focusing on the tears.
Deployment: To those who didn't have their other half--'god bless you', 'may the force be with you', 'you are wonderwoman.' Those women who were handling it all like a 100% B-O-S-S....this is for you. Your ability to raise humans, keep your head afloat, be a friend (a damn good one), have faith and have an unwavering commitment to your non-existent husband is nothing less than inspiring.
Like A Boss: All of you. Every single one of you. You chose to stay and not run "home" and feel safe in a "bubble." You decided to pull up your big-girl pants and handle it LIKE A BOSS. When everything went wrong (and I mean everything), these women trudged through the thickest waters and came out alive with all their little humans in tow.
Miss Independent: What help? What mother or mother-in-law? Are you serious? No, she doesn't go to the grocery store by herself. And no, she didn't have a grandparent babysit her third child so she could go watch her second child's swim meet. No, she doesn't have a free babysitting service from family members to enjoy endless date nights with her husband who is pulling 16 hour days. (Side note: believer in actual babysitters) And no, she isn't having anyone "raise" her children but herself. And here is the kicker---she is doing it all without flinching, complaining or expecting anything different. This is what these women did and I commend them for their humility and strength.
Oh The Places You'll Go: Mexico? The Bayou? Korea? Alaska? The choices are endless and while each place will (no matter what) have something positive and negative, the unknown can be frightening. The uprooting--hard. The starting over--even harder. The inevitable temporary home---really hard. And yes, many will say "that's the life they chose so they shouldn't complain." But what is different is that the men and women uprooting their family and children are doing it all to serve a greater good--our country.
While the military life can (and will) be hard, challenging and rewarding, it has been one of the greatest and most unexpected gifts I could have ever received. So to every single one of you (you know who you are)---thank you for showing me what a strong woman, wife, mother and friend truly represents.
Not goodbye..........see you soon........

