How many times have you placed your own personal fears, reservations or disapproval of something onto your children?
Does it happen every day?
Weekly?
Have those feelings then manifested in your child's own personal feelings and life as a result of you consciously or unconsciously doing so?
I am guilty of all the above. Extremely guilty. As a result, those wary and unstable feelings I had/have are now apparent in my own children. With that said, this entire topic isn't just limited to a negative feeling, but also ones of trust, goodness and assurance. The former is the one that I became most concerned about, especially when learning to do this whole "parenting" gig.
However, one topic that creates an immense amount of anxiety is that of death. Of course no one likes "death" or losing a loved one. Since I can remember it has been a subject that I don't like discussing or being around. As a child I had an extremely hard time entering a nursing home (these people were complete strangers and alive for goodness sakes) or visiting someone in the hospital. I associate(d) both places with death.
(Pause)
Enter Jamie Seidl.
Jamie is unspeakably comfortable with death. He has been since he was a little boy--I've asked. I don't chalk it up to him becoming completely "desensitized" during his autopsy days nor do I contribute it to him counseling families on the impending death of a loved one. He is just remarkably comfortable with the entirety of the subject itself. And to that, I am grateful.
Therefore, as the day of the wake and funeral approached for Grandpa Henry, my heart and mind were uneasy. This wasn't for my sake, but for James and Henry. I knew they would be old enough to understand and certainly remember the events that were to transpire. So while I listened intently and entrusted absolutely every word that Jamie said to the boys, I too learned a little more.
Death shouldn't be an end all. Of course, it seems that way at first. But Jamie provided truth, honesty and peace to our boys. That is, to not shy away from the topic. To make it an open discussion. To answer any and all questions. And lastly, to know that memories shared with Great Grandpa is the greatest living thing we have today and in the future.
(I understand my responsibility in being as objective as possible. I know I can't shield them from everything or stop the monsters out in the real world. There must be a balance of protecting, but not letting my own fears exceed what they need to learn or feel independently. This life event has been another part of our adventure (as we like to call it)--it has given us further confidence in our faith and the decisions we make as a family.)
With love,
The Seidl Scouts
Does it happen every day?
Weekly?
Have those feelings then manifested in your child's own personal feelings and life as a result of you consciously or unconsciously doing so?
I am guilty of all the above. Extremely guilty. As a result, those wary and unstable feelings I had/have are now apparent in my own children. With that said, this entire topic isn't just limited to a negative feeling, but also ones of trust, goodness and assurance. The former is the one that I became most concerned about, especially when learning to do this whole "parenting" gig.
However, one topic that creates an immense amount of anxiety is that of death. Of course no one likes "death" or losing a loved one. Since I can remember it has been a subject that I don't like discussing or being around. As a child I had an extremely hard time entering a nursing home (these people were complete strangers and alive for goodness sakes) or visiting someone in the hospital. I associate(d) both places with death.
(Pause)
Enter Jamie Seidl.
Therefore, as the day of the wake and funeral approached for Grandpa Henry, my heart and mind were uneasy. This wasn't for my sake, but for James and Henry. I knew they would be old enough to understand and certainly remember the events that were to transpire. So while I listened intently and entrusted absolutely every word that Jamie said to the boys, I too learned a little more.
Death shouldn't be an end all. Of course, it seems that way at first. But Jamie provided truth, honesty and peace to our boys. That is, to not shy away from the topic. To make it an open discussion. To answer any and all questions. And lastly, to know that memories shared with Great Grandpa is the greatest living thing we have today and in the future.
(I understand my responsibility in being as objective as possible. I know I can't shield them from everything or stop the monsters out in the real world. There must be a balance of protecting, but not letting my own fears exceed what they need to learn or feel independently. This life event has been another part of our adventure (as we like to call it)--it has given us further confidence in our faith and the decisions we make as a family.)
With love,
The Seidl Scouts