Every household has their own way of doing things.
From the way dishes are arranged to how we say sorry--there is variance in every home.
With that being said, I know the way in which "we" parent will be starkly different than others. Ours is no better. Ours is no worse.
Parenting has become exceedingly transparent, yet convoluted for the both of us. With each new stage, accomplishment, hiccup or emotion, the way in which we acknowledge and respond is a learning process. So while we are trying to correct something, empathize or teach a lesson to James and Henry, we too are learning from the situation.
(You are probably thinking---wow they really overthink this parenting thing. And guess what, you are 100% right, but once again, that is us and it may not be you. Kudos to both.)
However, a topic that has become apparent is that of humility. {I caveat this post by acknowledging three of the most humble people I have ever met: Grandpa Karabatsos, Kathy aka Bone/Mom and Jamie.} They set the bar extremely high when it comes to living, breathing and defining the word humility. So with that said.......
You may say it has a lot to do with what Jamie and I have noticed, heard or witnessed--that is outside and inside the home. Don't get me wrong, every parent wants to sing their child's praises. Every parent wants to see their child succeed. Every parent wants to see their child accomplish something new, exciting and worthy of recognition. However, for our "unit" we find it imperative to lay the groundwork for what it means to be humble. Why?
Exhibit A
"I am so much faster than you, Henry. I hit the ball over the fence and you can't." -James (inside the home)
"My dinosaur is bigger than yours! I made cupcakes and delivered them to the neighbors!" -Henry (inside the home)
**You may find this harmless and unworthy of recognition or change.** (Once again, Kudos and no hard feelings)
Exhibit B
"I do "xyz" for these people. I maintain a status of "xyz". I made "xyz" this fiscal year." (outside the home)
**If you know me, you know how I loathe this.**
Whether or not we like to admit it, all of us want to be acknowledged. We have a desire to belong. We have a thirst for affirmation. We reach for the acceptance of others.
This is where teaching humility is essential. While it may seem minuscule and harmless, we are trying to look at the bigger picture. To be humble. To remain humble. To not seek recognition or praise from others. And to never be defined by what you wear, how much you make or what you did last week for someone. Because it is in the silence of a good deed that truly makes it genuine and sincere.
(When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.) Proverbs 11:2
From the way dishes are arranged to how we say sorry--there is variance in every home.
With that being said, I know the way in which "we" parent will be starkly different than others. Ours is no better. Ours is no worse.
Parenting has become exceedingly transparent, yet convoluted for the both of us. With each new stage, accomplishment, hiccup or emotion, the way in which we acknowledge and respond is a learning process. So while we are trying to correct something, empathize or teach a lesson to James and Henry, we too are learning from the situation.
(You are probably thinking---wow they really overthink this parenting thing. And guess what, you are 100% right, but once again, that is us and it may not be you. Kudos to both.)
However, a topic that has become apparent is that of humility. {I caveat this post by acknowledging three of the most humble people I have ever met: Grandpa Karabatsos, Kathy aka Bone/Mom and Jamie.} They set the bar extremely high when it comes to living, breathing and defining the word humility. So with that said.......
You may say it has a lot to do with what Jamie and I have noticed, heard or witnessed--that is outside and inside the home. Don't get me wrong, every parent wants to sing their child's praises. Every parent wants to see their child succeed. Every parent wants to see their child accomplish something new, exciting and worthy of recognition. However, for our "unit" we find it imperative to lay the groundwork for what it means to be humble. Why?
Exhibit A
"I am so much faster than you, Henry. I hit the ball over the fence and you can't." -James (inside the home)
"My dinosaur is bigger than yours! I made cupcakes and delivered them to the neighbors!" -Henry (inside the home)
**You may find this harmless and unworthy of recognition or change.** (Once again, Kudos and no hard feelings)
Exhibit B
"I do "xyz" for these people. I maintain a status of "xyz". I made "xyz" this fiscal year." (outside the home)
**If you know me, you know how I loathe this.**
Whether or not we like to admit it, all of us want to be acknowledged. We have a desire to belong. We have a thirst for affirmation. We reach for the acceptance of others.
This is where teaching humility is essential. While it may seem minuscule and harmless, we are trying to look at the bigger picture. To be humble. To remain humble. To not seek recognition or praise from others. And to never be defined by what you wear, how much you make or what you did last week for someone. Because it is in the silence of a good deed that truly makes it genuine and sincere.
(When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.) Proverbs 11:2