Perspective is only gained through time.
These moments-as the clock's handles incessantly move to the next second and minute can seem like a lifetime.
At times you want to obtain a superhero like power that surpasses what you are feeling or dealing with but know that is only in the comic books.
Instead you continue staring at the clock or you move through the motions of life; the vast majority have no choice but to choose the latter.
So while the ticks and tocks murmur in the white noise of your head, you do everything in your non-superhero strength to move forward. And here's the big news: What you have endured was out of your control in the first place. And secondly, whatever is to come of these occurrences are meant to only prepare you for life ahead.
Perspective is only gained through time.....on repeat, repeat, repeat.
I look back on past hardships, challenges and losses--each different than the other. No one alike--other than a great feeling of loss. I never wanted the loss. I never wanted to grieve. I never wanted to feel a sense of loneliness or defeat.
But I did.
For a reason--not understood then and maybe not understood fully now; but I certainly have what?--Perspective.
I've come to realize that perspective gives us one or two things:
1. It gives us an imperfect, messy and emotionally" trying excuse" to stand up and look forward.
2. It gives us the ability to understand the major difference between the little things vs. big things in life.
Little things: a toy is broken, the dishwasher isn't arranged perfectly and your child just ripped apart his knee on the cement
These moments-as the clock's handles incessantly move to the next second and minute can seem like a lifetime.
At times you want to obtain a superhero like power that surpasses what you are feeling or dealing with but know that is only in the comic books.
Instead you continue staring at the clock or you move through the motions of life; the vast majority have no choice but to choose the latter.
So while the ticks and tocks murmur in the white noise of your head, you do everything in your non-superhero strength to move forward. And here's the big news: What you have endured was out of your control in the first place. And secondly, whatever is to come of these occurrences are meant to only prepare you for life ahead.
Perspective is only gained through time.....on repeat, repeat, repeat.
I look back on past hardships, challenges and losses--each different than the other. No one alike--other than a great feeling of loss. I never wanted the loss. I never wanted to grieve. I never wanted to feel a sense of loneliness or defeat.
But I did.
For a reason--not understood then and maybe not understood fully now; but I certainly have what?--Perspective.
I've come to realize that perspective gives us one or two things:
1. It gives us an imperfect, messy and emotionally" trying excuse" to stand up and look forward.
2. It gives us the ability to understand the major difference between the little things vs. big things in life.
Little things: a toy is broken, the dishwasher isn't arranged perfectly and your child just ripped apart his knee on the cement
Big things: the breakdown of communication in a relationship, loss of a loved one, a tragic accident
What is each one worth? Not in the monetary sense--but in the sense of whether it can be replaced, exchanged or you can obtain another just like it.
The little things are often replaceable and exchangeable--
The big things are often not--they are the ones that make the perspective I speak of harder to accept.
There is no true answer in how to deal with what is gained, what is lost and what remains in limbo--it all takes time, patience and trust in something (or someone) greater than any of us are able to comprehend.