I have never, ever, ever, ever been a runner.
I still remember my freshman year of college when I tried to run with two cross country girls. We had made it a block and I went into full blown asthma attack.
I don't have asthma.
Yes, I was out of shape.
But more importantly, I was a hot mess trying to run side by side with two gazelles who were having a full blown conversation---not even a huff or a puff or a grunt. They were running (it felt more like a sprint to me) --chatting away---as if they were enjoying a coffee date.
Prior to having babies I remember I had accomplished some 5ks. Don't get me wrong, I was proud of myself, but still didn't feel comfortable when I ran. I could never get my breathing right. A pair of Nike Shocks weren't helping my dinosaur feet and I my arms flared like Richard Simmons.
It was ugly.
However, this past year I have started to run on a regular basis. It has actually been the first time in my life where I feel like I can take my concerns, anxieties, frustrations and joys out on the pavement. Some days are worse than others. Some days I feel like a badass.
In the past four months it has been extremely cathartic for me. The unknown. Visiting KS/Des Moines. The moving. National Boards. A vacation. Grandma Toodie passing. The unknown. The moving. It all seems like a blur really. I have failed in so many respects. I have neglected so much. I have lost site of things. And I know this because when I run I have the opportunity to solely rely on myself and hash out anything/everything. Therapeutic. Cathartic. A personal therapy session. It depends on the day.
At any rate---it has given me motivation not just physically, but emotionally, mentally and spiritually. I just hope in return I can be better and do better.
Gain mileage. Gain perspective.
I still remember my freshman year of college when I tried to run with two cross country girls. We had made it a block and I went into full blown asthma attack.
I don't have asthma.
Yes, I was out of shape.
But more importantly, I was a hot mess trying to run side by side with two gazelles who were having a full blown conversation---not even a huff or a puff or a grunt. They were running (it felt more like a sprint to me) --chatting away---as if they were enjoying a coffee date.
Prior to having babies I remember I had accomplished some 5ks. Don't get me wrong, I was proud of myself, but still didn't feel comfortable when I ran. I could never get my breathing right. A pair of Nike Shocks weren't helping my dinosaur feet and I my arms flared like Richard Simmons.
It was ugly.
However, this past year I have started to run on a regular basis. It has actually been the first time in my life where I feel like I can take my concerns, anxieties, frustrations and joys out on the pavement. Some days are worse than others. Some days I feel like a badass.
In the past four months it has been extremely cathartic for me. The unknown. Visiting KS/Des Moines. The moving. National Boards. A vacation. Grandma Toodie passing. The unknown. The moving. It all seems like a blur really. I have failed in so many respects. I have neglected so much. I have lost site of things. And I know this because when I run I have the opportunity to solely rely on myself and hash out anything/everything. Therapeutic. Cathartic. A personal therapy session. It depends on the day.
At any rate---it has given me motivation not just physically, but emotionally, mentally and spiritually. I just hope in return I can be better and do better.
Gain mileage. Gain perspective.