There's No Place Like Home....

One of the first of many lessons I learned from my mother was my street address and phone number. The purpose of this lesson was to ensure I would always know how to get home or reach home if I became lost or needed help.

(Great lesson and one that should always be used).

As I reflect on this lesson and the lovely trip Jamie and I returned back from, I can't help but think about the term "home." This actually takes me back to the many feelings I had when my mom and dad first became separated and my mom and I left. In a matter of seven months, my mom and I had moved three times. And then three more times. We became professionals at living out of a suitcase and packing our items up at the drop of a penny.

And then came college. This is the time where many of us feel like we truly are leaving "home"--the place we feel the most comfortable and receive the most comfort (sometimes). I too, felt this way, but in many respects it was a true celebration to get out of Storm Lake. Shortly after I started college, my mom moved to Carroll, IA and I demanded that the town itself adopt me. So that became my new hometown. (In the interim).

Storm Lake to Carroll to Simpson College to West Des Moines to ????

I realized quickly that "home" isn't just a structure you go to lay in your bed, eat dinner at the table or read in the den. "Home" can become mobile. It can change. It can be adaptable.

Our new home will be in Augusta, Georgia and as many of you know--my heart is extremely heavy leaving what we've called HOME for so long. I use the term so interchangably---a physical location, yet an emotional connection.

On our trip, Jamie and I acquainted ourselves with the beautiful neighborhood we will be a part of and was able to take a peek inside our house. We were pleasantly surprised by it all! Fort Gordon also served us well with a great tour, friendly faces and many relationships we hope to build with those individuals Jamie will be working with as he begins his residency in Family Practice. However, we were also shown how different the "SOUTH" truly is and how hard it is to explain to our loved ones. Jamie and I spent alot of time talking and hoping that our friends in Iowa remain close--that we too make an effort to stay connected to the many people who have made such an impact on us as individuals and as a couple. The trip was good for the both of us as it gave us a teeny, tiny glimpse of southern living--but most of all, it gave Jamie an even greater excitement in his heart to begin his residency. One that we have already been told doesn't even compare to his first and second year of medical school---harder and more intense. And as this news struck a chord with me---I surprisingly took it well because I knew it was coming. Jamie's hard week will now go into even harder work. That may mean three years of sacrifice on both our parts but I do know we are ready for the challenge.

Last but not least, the reflection of home is far greater than four walls. It is where you build your family for that specific time in your life. And as long as you are together with love, communication and a bit of guts---a home will be built.

Love,
The Seidl Sprouts