Hindsight is 20/20. So of course, there are things you wish you had known before a particular experience or life event occurred. In this case, it is having a baby. For some of you it could be getting engaged, married, buying a car or remodeling a home.
Although my list isn't complete yet, as I am still learning every single day, I can say that there are certain things I wish I had known before becoming a mom. However, I remain strong in the fact that I don't think a book or class can ever prepare you for motherhood until you experience it yourself. And my list may be completely different for you so please DON'T take my word for it.
-Find the cheapest deals on laundry detergent--the moment you become a mom the laundry never stops.
-Vaseline does wonders for EVERYTHING!! Lips, butt, chin, knees, elbows and cheeks soak this liquid gold up!
-Realize you will fail!! I expected myself to be a natural and some things I was really good at, while others I failed.
-Start sleep training early and stick to it!! Remain Strong!!
-When they say you will change a baby's diaper 10-15 times a day---Jamie and I failed at this. Did James get a diaper rash? No. Could some other baby? Yes. But for us, we made sure that diaper was FULL!!!
-Teach independence! For my second child, I have promised myself to be better at this.
-Find socks that truly fit!
-DO NOT BUY GERBER brand clothes---they run super, super, super small. So if you have a 6 month baby, I would suggest 12-18 month clothes!
-Snap bibs rather than velcro. I can't tell you how many times I have thrown a velcro bib in the washer and dryer and then it rips my clothes apart. (Yes, I realize you can put this in a laundry bag but I always forgot)
-Do not be afraid to start solids earlier than expected.
-Teething sucks. It is a part of life. Don't stress over it because it will be the next two-three years of your life!
-Be flexible. Everyone will tell you: SCHEDULE, SCHEDULE, SCHEDULE!! Honestly, try not to be a NAZI about schedule. I looked at it more as a ROUTINE! Meaning, if James usually gets his last bottle at 7:05pm and we didn't end up getting home until 7:45pm to give it to him---LIFE GOES ON!! Just keep the same routine.
-Babies get sick. They get sick alot. A runny nose doesn't mean you have to rush to the doctor. Jamie and I waited 10 days before we took James in. I am not saying you should ignore a 104 degree temp....but often times, first time parents jump to the worse conclusion when it is just a simple cold.
-Listen to other MOMS!! Chelsey is my number one supporter!! She is literally a walking MOMMY ENCYCLOPEDIA!!! Rely on other moms!! I KNOW I am a better mom because of her.
-If you think you are a patient person--wait until you have a baby. Patience takes on a whole new definition!
-A strong marital foundation. This is huge. I look back on these past eight months and there is NO WAY, absolutely NO WAY Jamie and I would've gotten through it all if we didn't have a strong foundation. My opinion--if you don't have a strong marriage--don't have kids. If you and your spouse get worked up about the little things---don't have kids.
-Your Faith! I never thought this would play as BIG of a role as it has!! Our faith has helped us through the tough times, the frustrating times and the happy times! You have to have faith that your child will be okay. That he/she is safe in its crib and that there is only so much you can do to keep that child protected. Keep the faith!
Like I said---this is just a FEW of the things I wish I had known before having James. I could name a thousand more. I can't reiterate enough that this is just my opinion----your experience could be completely different!! Just remember, parenthood and mommyhood should be joyful---even when things are tough!
Love,
The Seidl Sprouts
Although my list isn't complete yet, as I am still learning every single day, I can say that there are certain things I wish I had known before becoming a mom. However, I remain strong in the fact that I don't think a book or class can ever prepare you for motherhood until you experience it yourself. And my list may be completely different for you so please DON'T take my word for it.
-Find the cheapest deals on laundry detergent--the moment you become a mom the laundry never stops.
-Vaseline does wonders for EVERYTHING!! Lips, butt, chin, knees, elbows and cheeks soak this liquid gold up!
-Realize you will fail!! I expected myself to be a natural and some things I was really good at, while others I failed.
-Start sleep training early and stick to it!! Remain Strong!!
-When they say you will change a baby's diaper 10-15 times a day---Jamie and I failed at this. Did James get a diaper rash? No. Could some other baby? Yes. But for us, we made sure that diaper was FULL!!!
-Teach independence! For my second child, I have promised myself to be better at this.
-Find socks that truly fit!
-DO NOT BUY GERBER brand clothes---they run super, super, super small. So if you have a 6 month baby, I would suggest 12-18 month clothes!
-Snap bibs rather than velcro. I can't tell you how many times I have thrown a velcro bib in the washer and dryer and then it rips my clothes apart. (Yes, I realize you can put this in a laundry bag but I always forgot)
-Do not be afraid to start solids earlier than expected.
-Teething sucks. It is a part of life. Don't stress over it because it will be the next two-three years of your life!
-Be flexible. Everyone will tell you: SCHEDULE, SCHEDULE, SCHEDULE!! Honestly, try not to be a NAZI about schedule. I looked at it more as a ROUTINE! Meaning, if James usually gets his last bottle at 7:05pm and we didn't end up getting home until 7:45pm to give it to him---LIFE GOES ON!! Just keep the same routine.
-Babies get sick. They get sick alot. A runny nose doesn't mean you have to rush to the doctor. Jamie and I waited 10 days before we took James in. I am not saying you should ignore a 104 degree temp....but often times, first time parents jump to the worse conclusion when it is just a simple cold.
-Listen to other MOMS!! Chelsey is my number one supporter!! She is literally a walking MOMMY ENCYCLOPEDIA!!! Rely on other moms!! I KNOW I am a better mom because of her.
-If you think you are a patient person--wait until you have a baby. Patience takes on a whole new definition!
-A strong marital foundation. This is huge. I look back on these past eight months and there is NO WAY, absolutely NO WAY Jamie and I would've gotten through it all if we didn't have a strong foundation. My opinion--if you don't have a strong marriage--don't have kids. If you and your spouse get worked up about the little things---don't have kids.
-Your Faith! I never thought this would play as BIG of a role as it has!! Our faith has helped us through the tough times, the frustrating times and the happy times! You have to have faith that your child will be okay. That he/she is safe in its crib and that there is only so much you can do to keep that child protected. Keep the faith!
Like I said---this is just a FEW of the things I wish I had known before having James. I could name a thousand more. I can't reiterate enough that this is just my opinion----your experience could be completely different!! Just remember, parenthood and mommyhood should be joyful---even when things are tough!
Love,
The Seidl Sprouts