Love is all around us--as it should be.
But this week, in particular, has my eyes bombarded by all the memorabilia that one can give to another human being because of a holiday called Valentine's Day.
I am thoroughly looking forward to this NOT being the case in my household.
I say this not to be some sort of Valentine's Day Scrooge, rather I say it because Jamie and I haven't celebrated this holiday for years. Yes, of course every girl likes to receive flowers but sometimes I feel there is WAY too much pressure to put your love on display on that ONE PARTICULAR DAY. I have said it time and time again---instead of designating one day to showing that person you love them or care for them---do it every day. Do it without having it marked on a calendar. Do it without obligation. Do it without expectation.
I will admit, that Jamie and I still get each other a card---usually two from me (one serious, one funny). This simple gesture means more to me than some flower or piece of chocolate. It means more to me than a fancy dinner where we spend way too much money---money that could easily go to James' college fund instead.
What matters is appreciating that person and celebrating your love for them every single day.
I am not saying you shouldn't celebrate this LOVEly day, but maybe we should try doing something different. Something that sets your relationship apart from all the candies, roses and lingerie. It may be going for a picnic, re-living your glory days at the roller skating rink and participating in the snowball or may be it is lighting candles and dancing in your living room to Frank Sinatra. Who knows!
Don't just fill this week with love----try to fill every week with love.
I received the best advice so many years ago when someone gave me this quote: Wake up every single morning and ask yourself, "What Can I do to make my relationship more Loving?"
Love,
The SeidlSprouts
But this week, in particular, has my eyes bombarded by all the memorabilia that one can give to another human being because of a holiday called Valentine's Day.
I am thoroughly looking forward to this NOT being the case in my household.
I say this not to be some sort of Valentine's Day Scrooge, rather I say it because Jamie and I haven't celebrated this holiday for years. Yes, of course every girl likes to receive flowers but sometimes I feel there is WAY too much pressure to put your love on display on that ONE PARTICULAR DAY. I have said it time and time again---instead of designating one day to showing that person you love them or care for them---do it every day. Do it without having it marked on a calendar. Do it without obligation. Do it without expectation.
I will admit, that Jamie and I still get each other a card---usually two from me (one serious, one funny). This simple gesture means more to me than some flower or piece of chocolate. It means more to me than a fancy dinner where we spend way too much money---money that could easily go to James' college fund instead.
What matters is appreciating that person and celebrating your love for them every single day.
I am not saying you shouldn't celebrate this LOVEly day, but maybe we should try doing something different. Something that sets your relationship apart from all the candies, roses and lingerie. It may be going for a picnic, re-living your glory days at the roller skating rink and participating in the snowball or may be it is lighting candles and dancing in your living room to Frank Sinatra. Who knows!
Don't just fill this week with love----try to fill every week with love.
I received the best advice so many years ago when someone gave me this quote: Wake up every single morning and ask yourself, "What Can I do to make my relationship more Loving?"
Love,
The SeidlSprouts