Parenthood 101

Let me preface what I am about to write with the most important point:

I love my son. I love being a mom. We love being parents. Our son is the best thing that has ever happened and we are truly blessed to have such a miracle.


Now let me begin....

First and foremost, if you haven't said thank you to your parents recently, I suggest you give them a ring or send them an email to tell them how much you appreciate them. I say this because what I am about to write may be a bit blunt---it even may upset you, but I have always believed writing from my heart is the truest form of expression I could give myself or to the world.

Jamie and I sat down tonight and we had a quick moment of silence (James fell asleep in his car seat). And I began telling him that since I gave birth to James, I think I have struggled with the whole mom thing and being what I would deem "successful" at the new role. Jamie brushed my worry aside like nasty dust mites and reassured me of my worries. However, he stated the following, "Beth, I think motherhood----parenthood is glorified."

(silence by me)

At first I thought he meant that I glorified the whole notion of being a mother before I even became one. But to my relief, he said, "No, I think that parenthood is glorified---our society glorifies the hell out of it."

And I waited and took it in.

And I agree.

Hear me out for a second.

Jamie and I further discussed how far too often many couples, women and men believe parenthood is going to be some "easy road" or that the baby is going to be some happy pea pod 24/7. WRONG. From first hand experience----our son would not fall into that category----he has been a pistol since he came into this world. (Jamie and I didn't have much hope.....look at us both...come'on!)

From our standpoint we both know that parenthood isn't some perfect world. You don't know how much work it actually is until you actually have that baby. There are no breaks. Sleeping isn't "sound" anymore. Yes, do you get the occasional "margarita" with a girlfriend or "beer" with the guys---sure....but when you walk back into that door---that baby is still there...........screaming, crying, pooping or giggling. You take it all and you have no choice----which in our case is a BLESSING. We aren't trying to come across as "resentful" by any means--but more matter of factly because we both believe that our society in general makes it all seem so perfect and easy----and sometimes that results in couples having babies when they aren't quite ready. And guess what..........Jamie and I aren't perfect at this parenthood thing---we have failed miserably at certain things.....but the joy comes from what we like to call THE LEARNING CURVE. And thank baby Jesus, James can't judge us because hopefully our performance as parents will be better with baby #2 or baby #3 or baby #4.....

At the end of each day, whether it was full of screams, fussiness, gas or laughter----we end it the same with our night time prayers and us thanking God for such a beautiful boy. It all takes time and I have realized that my "control" issues have gone out the window and Jamie's "anal retentiveness" has diminished to a certain extent. It takes patience.

More lessons to come.....and we are looking forward to it!

Love,
The Seidl Sprouts