Our personal joys.

For the past few weeks, my mind has lingered around a subject that didn't necessarily have a clear "word" or "phrase" or "description." I have kept it busy inside my brain--doing jumping-jacks and cartwheels until I knew what I felt or how I could place the right words on a page to give it some sort of justice. It may make no sense and may even come across like deep, poetry-snapping stuff that has no relevance to you but I will give it a shot.

---Here goes nothing-----

First thought: what defines us?
No, I am not talking about your sex or race or sexual preference----those are pretty concrete items. I am speaking about the deep intuitions that keep us ticking or feeling alive inside.
For many it is their belief in a higher power and they devote their entire lives to it. I.E. Priests, Nuns, Monks, etc.
For others it may be their family life or their career.
Take a second and think of how many people are defined by their job? That the only thing they eat, breathe and live by is their ability to represent something or someone at their place of work. For some, this may work perfectly and they work their asses off until they are 65 and die ten years later not even taking a second look at what life could've been if they didn't eat, breathe and live by that JOB.

Or take many women for example--they define themselves as a "mom". A proud mom---of course. One that will do anything and I mean ANYTHING for that child(ren) at any given moment. (nothing wrong with this, but they never live outside that "mom" definition and lose sight of who they truly are and what they truly want)

But then I pause in my thought processes of this "definition" phase and wonder if we are defined by one thing or a multitude of things---does it bring us JOY? Does it bring us 100% bliss or happiness?

And yes, those long days at the office---(although I don't understand it) do bring JOY to a number of people's lives.

The thing that gets me is this......

In my heart I think far too many people live on this earth being "defined" as the salesman, the teacher, the lawyer, the doctor, the mom or the librarian but they never stop to really enJOY life. The teacher may be paving the way for a hundred kids but is he/she truly happy doing so? Or the lawyer and doctor---do they just love the paychecks but bitch about the hours--- and then not spend enough time focusing on their marriage and children?

Yes, I get it. We all have our days. The bad ones. The good ones. But it is so incredibly hard for me to see, hear and  recognize that far too often we are living a life that seems to have some "definition" but NO joy.

And it kills me to see this or recognize it---because think of what those people are missing? And I think this is why I am such a believer in the saying, "stop and smell the roses" because life goes by too fast and sometimes it is cut short for reasons we may never understand. So my only hope is for everyone to find that true definition of themselves and be at peace with it.


(hopefully you are following)

So what defines you and what brings you everlasting joy?

Love,
The Seidl Sprouts