Nurture (4 life)

Nature vs. Nurture.
We have all read about it. Studied it. Thought about it (or at least I have). I won't get too indepth about the whole theory as I want to focus solely on the nurturing aspect.

Relationships take work. They aren't easy. They aren't simple. They are probably one of the most discombulated "things" a human will experience in their lifetime. And that is with any type of relationship that has "meaning". A friendship. An acquaintance. A family member. A marriage.

Obviously I am here thinking and writing about marriage. I can't help but lay in bed at night thinking how my life and Jamie's life is going to change drastically. I can't help ignore my fears of worrying about our marriage. Worrying about our time as individuals. Worrying about how I can avoid any future disasters or miscommunications.

Insert worry wart here.

What I do know is that I am extremely grateful for the example my parents showed me. You might be thinking, "Beth, wait a second--your parents are divorced!!!" And I say to you, "Yes, I am using their downfalls as my way of learning from their mistakes." Instead of looking at the entire situation negatively, I can actually be grateful to them.

My parents stopped nurting their marriage. They stopped nurting each other's emotions. Each other's passions. Each other's desires. They just stopped because they poured their hearts and souls into my brother, my sister and I. And of course, I am grateful for their love---but I truly, truly wish they would've pumped the breaks and realized they should be nurturing their own relationship.

Far too often, I think new parents or old parents strive to be so perfect for their children that they lose sight of the relationship that came first---their spouse.
Of course this CHALLENGE worries me. Of course I am scared. I don't want Jamie and I to fall into what my parents or his parents did. The greatest gift we have received is to be AWARE of this and continually COMMUNICATE with one another.

Don't get me wrong, do I know that in the coming year Jamie and I will be in "survival mode" and trying our hardest just to get through each day as we learn how to be parents---of course!!

But I think the nurturing aspect of our marriage has to be at the forefront of our minds--at all times. And when we start slipping--we have to rely on each other to pull it all back together.

I am excited to see what our baby boy will do to our love for one another. I am excited to see the amount of trust and reliance it brings out of me and Jamie. I am excited to nurture my marriage more and more because I am aware of past mistakes I have witnessed.

So today's lesson---nurture your relationships. Because each day it should be a challenge not only to yourself but to the people you love.

Love,
The Seidl Sprouts