J. Karabatsos

Dear Grandpa,
I write this note to you--knowing you may never read it.
Today and every day I honor you.
 I honor you not only because you are my grandfather, but I honor you because you are the truest example of what it means to live life with humility, kindness, patience, forgiveness and respect. Twenty-six years of my life I have had the opportunity to hear the stories of your childhood baseball dreams, the cooking lessons you learned from your mother, the way you asked Grandma to marry you, what makes you the happiest, your favorite game of all time, the entire sonnets you have memorized by Shakespeare, Keats and Wordsworth and the way you have lived your life.
You have been the leading example of how a man should treat his wife and children. You have been the light that guides me in times of pain, loss and love. You instilled in me the power to forgive those who have hurt me. You have met and approved of the man that I call my husband. You have loved me unconditionally with absolutely no stipulations.

I honor you for these reasons and so many more. So today, on your 86th birthday I hope you know that you are always in my heart.
And as there are many memories I can recall--there is something about the fact that you were there on my wedding day to give me away. To dance with me to Moonlight Serenade. I love you


I stand at your gate.
And the song that I sing is of moonlight.
I stand and I wait
For the touch of your hand in the June night.
The roses are sighing a moonlight serenade.

The stars are aglow.
And tonight how their light sets me dreaming.
My love, do you know
That your eyes are like stars brightly beaming?
I bring you, and I sing you a moonlight serenade.

Let us stray 'til break of day
In love's valley of dreams.
Just you and I, a summer sky,
A heavenly breeze, kissin' the trees.

So don't let me wait.
Come to me tenderly in the June night.
I stand at your gate
And I sing you a song in the moonlight.
A love song, my darling, a moonlight serenade

Love,
Your Granddaughter