Occurrence: Wednesday, February 8th
*We decide to have a discussion right before we go to bed**
So this week I booked a trip for my mom and sister to visit Orlando, Fl for their spring break. The fact that my mother has not been on a vacation since .....well.....for a long ass time. This is even more special because my sister and her will be able to spend some much needed quality time together. The only thing I am a little fearful is how many long island ice teas my sister will challenge our mother to.
At any rate--Colleen came up with this spectacular idea that they need to go back to Disney World for a day. The last trip my mom has ever been on with my sister was when our family went to Disney World when I was 8 and Colleen was 5. The pictures are priceles. I must find them and post them!!
So kudos to Kathy and Colleen--they are heading to Orlando, FL!!
This brings me to the first two sentences I wrote above---last night Jamie and I began a discussion right before we both needed some shut eye. Thumbs Up.
And it consisted of this:
Jamie: I can't wait for our family to go to Disney World
Beth: Me too.
Jamie: Yep, and we will go on all the rides.
Beth: Um, no.....you and the kids will but I won't
Jamie: Beth, what type of example do you want to set for our children? A family that does things united or does things apart?
Beth: Going on rollercoasters has nothing to do with being united.
Jamie: Yes it does. It means we participate in all things---together.
Beth: You know I hate rollercoasters. You know what happened when I was little. You know it creates anxiety in me.
Jamie: Why? Because you get scared. And when you get scared your first initial reaction is to cry and then get really angry.
Beth: True. I think it is cruel when people scare other people. And I don't like being scared.
Jamie: You have to be a leader. You have to be a leader for our kids. Who didn't go on rollercoaster rides when you were little? Who instilled that fear in you?
Beth: My mom is legitimately afraid of heights and can't even get on a step stool.
Jamie: See.
Beth: I am not going to get on a rollercoaster. I will watch and buy hot dogs for everyone.
Okay---so this convo continued on...as you can imagine. But I think you get the point. Don't get me wrong--I know what Jamie was trying to accomplish. I understand that he really wants to instill in our children a "no fear" type personality (like the one he has) and he doesn't want them to feel limited.
And I do agree with the limitations thing---many times in my childhood I felt that I was limited in doing things--whether it be out of control from someone else or out of fear.
I guess this is another thing I need to work on before the baby gets here. Good news is that he won't be on a rollercoaster until the age of 6. You can just put me on the tea cup ride for now!!
In the meantime:
Love,
The SeidlSprouts
*We decide to have a discussion right before we go to bed**
So this week I booked a trip for my mom and sister to visit Orlando, Fl for their spring break. The fact that my mother has not been on a vacation since .....well.....for a long ass time. This is even more special because my sister and her will be able to spend some much needed quality time together. The only thing I am a little fearful is how many long island ice teas my sister will challenge our mother to.
At any rate--Colleen came up with this spectacular idea that they need to go back to Disney World for a day. The last trip my mom has ever been on with my sister was when our family went to Disney World when I was 8 and Colleen was 5. The pictures are priceles. I must find them and post them!!
So kudos to Kathy and Colleen--they are heading to Orlando, FL!!
This brings me to the first two sentences I wrote above---last night Jamie and I began a discussion right before we both needed some shut eye. Thumbs Up.
And it consisted of this:
Jamie: I can't wait for our family to go to Disney World
Beth: Me too.
Jamie: Yep, and we will go on all the rides.
Beth: Um, no.....you and the kids will but I won't
Jamie: Beth, what type of example do you want to set for our children? A family that does things united or does things apart?
Beth: Going on rollercoasters has nothing to do with being united.
Jamie: Yes it does. It means we participate in all things---together.
Beth: You know I hate rollercoasters. You know what happened when I was little. You know it creates anxiety in me.
Jamie: Why? Because you get scared. And when you get scared your first initial reaction is to cry and then get really angry.
Beth: True. I think it is cruel when people scare other people. And I don't like being scared.
Jamie: You have to be a leader. You have to be a leader for our kids. Who didn't go on rollercoaster rides when you were little? Who instilled that fear in you?
Beth: My mom is legitimately afraid of heights and can't even get on a step stool.
Jamie: See.
Beth: I am not going to get on a rollercoaster. I will watch and buy hot dogs for everyone.
Okay---so this convo continued on...as you can imagine. But I think you get the point. Don't get me wrong--I know what Jamie was trying to accomplish. I understand that he really wants to instill in our children a "no fear" type personality (like the one he has) and he doesn't want them to feel limited.
And I do agree with the limitations thing---many times in my childhood I felt that I was limited in doing things--whether it be out of control from someone else or out of fear.
I guess this is another thing I need to work on before the baby gets here. Good news is that he won't be on a rollercoaster until the age of 6. You can just put me on the tea cup ride for now!!
In the meantime:
Love,
The SeidlSprouts
