Bad days are expected. They happen. It may be the smallest thing in the entire world to someone, but the most ginormous thing to you. It could be accidently cutting that crevice between your ankle and your achilles that makes your day begin terribly. Or maybe it was the coffee you spilt all over your dress. Or maybe it is an argument. Or maybe it is a loss. In the grand scheme of things, today isn't going to be the worst day of my life. However, I think it is necessary to get it out in the open rather than leave it bottled up inside for it to become some alien bomb that could set off any moment.
So today has been a rough day.
A lot is on my mind. And I feel like no matter what I say or what I do---you feel a sense of failure because you can't get your point across. Or maybe it isn't about getting your point across, maybe it is just being understood?
The question I then pose to you and myself--what is it that makes you get through a rough day?
Is it your faith?
Is it your mom?
Is it your sister?
Is it your puppy?
Is it a piece of art?
Is it a certain song?
Is it writing?
Is it running?
Whatever it may be, I feel a whole lot better because I received a phone call from a friend and it made all the difference in the world. The phone call gave me a huge sense of comfort-- 15 minutes that allowed me to breathe and share my hurt. And it isn't the fact that she agreed with me on things (because she is the best devils advocate you could find)--but it's because she "heard" me and she understood me.
So I write this like a pan of scrambled eggs---but I guess what I am trying to say is that I know I need to be a better communicator. I need to be a better listener. I need to have more shades of gray. And I know that listening is one thing and hearing is another. Just because someone is listening, doesn't necessarily mean they heard you. Do you get me?
I am not trying to get all philosophical on ya'll but I really mean that.
To the phone call I received today---thank you.
And to a much better tomorrow---bring it on.
Love always,
The Seidl Sprouts
So today has been a rough day.
A lot is on my mind. And I feel like no matter what I say or what I do---you feel a sense of failure because you can't get your point across. Or maybe it isn't about getting your point across, maybe it is just being understood?
The question I then pose to you and myself--what is it that makes you get through a rough day?
Is it your faith?
Is it your mom?
Is it your sister?
Is it your puppy?
Is it a piece of art?
Is it a certain song?
Is it writing?
Is it running?
Whatever it may be, I feel a whole lot better because I received a phone call from a friend and it made all the difference in the world. The phone call gave me a huge sense of comfort-- 15 minutes that allowed me to breathe and share my hurt. And it isn't the fact that she agreed with me on things (because she is the best devils advocate you could find)--but it's because she "heard" me and she understood me.
So I write this like a pan of scrambled eggs---but I guess what I am trying to say is that I know I need to be a better communicator. I need to be a better listener. I need to have more shades of gray. And I know that listening is one thing and hearing is another. Just because someone is listening, doesn't necessarily mean they heard you. Do you get me?
I am not trying to get all philosophical on ya'll but I really mean that.
To the phone call I received today---thank you.
And to a much better tomorrow---bring it on.
Love always,
The Seidl Sprouts