Valentine's Day began on Sunday, February 13th rather than today, which is due in part because of my Grandpa Karabatsos. I called early Sunday morning to the Karabatsos household to hear my grandfather resite from memory William Wordsworth's beautiful poem, "Daffodils." Many of you may be wondering how an 84 year old man can resite such a poem--but if you have met my grandfather, you would completely understand. So I thought it would only be fitting for me to pass along the love that I felt when he spoke the following words:
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
And dances with the daffodils.
The rest of Sunday afternoon/evening was spent building a very large snowman in our front yard as Jamie deemed it the best snow to use when wanting to create a masterpiece. I was pleasantly surprised that he had already built the body of the snowman but needed my help with the shape, the eyes, the carrot nose and the smile. Needless to say, we threw on a red scarf and our lawn looked a bit more decorated:
We are very proud!!
Now it is Valentine's day---where millions of people around the world head to the florist or spend hundreds of dollars on wine, chocolates and dinner. I promise--I am not hating. However, I believe Jamie and I have come to find that the simplest ideas and surprises mean the most to us. We both agreed that the flowers needed to stop as they tend to.....DIE!!
But Jamie of course surprised with a single rose, a red balloon and a very special canvas that had our favorite wedding picture blown up. It is beautiful! Tears filled my eyes of course and then even more flooded my tissue as I read his card. Needless to say, I am by far the luckiest woman to have married such a remarkable, smart, sincere, patient, driven and funny husband. So........I tried to TOP him but I couldn't.....I did find two strikingly handsome ties and new swimming trunks for him to sport in Cancun. I also.....spent all night preparing the following:
8 oz Filet---seasoned with Maple Seasoning (grilled)
Fresh Asparagus with a little bit of butter, pepper and garlic
Sauteed Mushrooms with a little bit of pepper, olive oil and garlic
Sliced Red Peppers with finely chopped chives, fresh dill, chopped onion and roasted garlic olive oil (baked)
please notice the candle stick that Jamie stuck into chocolate frosting that had gone bad.......HE NEVER THROWS AWAY ANYTHING THAT HAS MOLD ON IT!!!
I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,Along the margin of a bay:
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,And dances with the daffodils.
The rest of Sunday afternoon/evening was spent building a very large snowman in our front yard as Jamie deemed it the best snow to use when wanting to create a masterpiece. I was pleasantly surprised that he had already built the body of the snowman but needed my help with the shape, the eyes, the carrot nose and the smile. Needless to say, we threw on a red scarf and our lawn looked a bit more decorated:
We are very proud!!
Now it is Valentine's day---where millions of people around the world head to the florist or spend hundreds of dollars on wine, chocolates and dinner. I promise--I am not hating. However, I believe Jamie and I have come to find that the simplest ideas and surprises mean the most to us. We both agreed that the flowers needed to stop as they tend to.....DIE!!
But Jamie of course surprised with a single rose, a red balloon and a very special canvas that had our favorite wedding picture blown up. It is beautiful! Tears filled my eyes of course and then even more flooded my tissue as I read his card. Needless to say, I am by far the luckiest woman to have married such a remarkable, smart, sincere, patient, driven and funny husband. So........I tried to TOP him but I couldn't.....I did find two strikingly handsome ties and new swimming trunks for him to sport in Cancun. I also.....spent all night preparing the following:
8 oz Filet---seasoned with Maple Seasoning (grilled)
Fresh Asparagus with a little bit of butter, pepper and garlic
Sauteed Mushrooms with a little bit of pepper, olive oil and garlic
Sliced Red Peppers with finely chopped chives, fresh dill, chopped onion and roasted garlic olive oil (baked)
So, it was a very successful Valentine's Day--not because it is the only day to celebrate love, but it sure gave us a couple of hours to share these special moments. We both agreed that the romance, the love, the surprises----they should be celebrated everyday--- whether that be in packing his lunch or him folding the clothes on the couch. Or maybe it is the way he listens to me when I have a bad day or the way I "quiz" him on his studies. I can honestly say that I celebrate this love with him every single day and every moment I get with him. It takes work---I believe anything that is beautiful, that is good, that is solid and meaningful--it takes WORK..... (tears and some of you may want to go get sick....but I am a romantic)
love to you and yours.........always (not just today)
Beth